Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Graduate Chair
PhD 1999, Carnegie Mellon University
Phone (808) 956-4435
Research Website me.hawaii.edu/HRIL
- Haptic Interfaces, Surgical Robotics, Magnetic Levitation, Robotic Rehabilitation
- P. J. Berkelman and R. L. Hollis, “Lorentz Magnetic Levitation for Haptic Interaction: Device Design, Function, and Integration with Simulated Environments”, International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 9(7), July 2000, Sage Science Press, pp. 644-667.
- D. L. Rothbaum, J. Roy, P. Berkelman, G. Hager, D. Stoianovici, R. H. Taylor, L. L. Whitcomb, H. Francis, and J. K. Niparko, “Robot-Assisted Stapedotomy: Micropick Fenestration of the Stapes Footplate”, Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, Vol. 127(5), Nov 2002, pp. 417-426.
- Peter J. Berkelman, Louis L. Whitcomb, Russell H. Taylor, and Patrick Jensen, “A Miniature Instrument Tip Force Sensor for Robot-Assisted Microsurgical Manipulation with Enhanced Force Feedback”, IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 19(5), Oct 2003, pp. 917-922.
- P. J. Berkelman, P. Cinquin, E. Boidard, J. Troccaz, C. Letoublon, J.-M. Ayoubi, “Design, Control, and Testing of a Novel Compact Laparoscopic Endoscope Manipulator”, Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part I, Vol. 217(I4), 2003, pp. 329-341.
- P. Berkelman, P. Cinquin, E. Boidard, J. Troccaz, C. Letoublon, J.-A. Long, “Development and Testing of a Compact Endoscope Manipulator for Minimally Invasive Surgery”, Computer Aided Surgery, Vol. 10(1), January 2005, pp. 1-13.
- P. Berkelman and Ji Ma, “A Compact, Modular, Teleoperated Minimally Invasive Surgery System”, IEEE/RAS-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics, Pisa Italy, Feb 20-22, 2006.
- J. Troccaz, M. Baumann, P. Berkelman, P. Cinquin, V. Daanen, A. Leroy, M. Marchal, Y. Payan, E. Promayon, S. Voros, S. Bart, M. Bolla, E. Chartier-Kastler, J.L. Descotes, A. Dusserre, J.Y. Giraud, J.-A. Long, R. Moalic, P. Mozer, “Medical Image Computing and Computer Aided Medical Interventions Applied to Soft Tissues. Work in Progress in Urology.” Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 94(8), August 2006.
- P. J. Berkelman, P. Cinquin, J. Arnault, A. Jacquet, “Systeme de Positionnement sur un Patient d’un Dispositif d’Observation et/ou d’Intervention (Positioning System on a Patient of a Device for Observation or Intervention)”, France No. B5536, Applied May 2002.
- William D. Meadow Jr., William D. Meadow, Peter Berkelman, “Adaptive Magnetic 2D Surface”, #20040244636, Filed June 4, 2004.
- P. Berkelman, P. Cinquin, A. Jaquet, J. Arnault, “System for Positioning on a Patient an Observation and/or Intervention Device” #20060100501, filed May 11, 2006. U.S. filing of French application #B5536.
- ME375 Dynamics of Machines and Systems
- ME374 Kinematics and Dynamics of Machinery
- ME452 Robotics
- ME 696 Advanced Topics: Biorobotics